Monday, September 13, 2010

Killers (2010)

This was a 2010 release from Katalyst Films that featured Katherine Heigl and Ashton Kutcher as the main characters. It also featured Tom Selleck, Catherine O'Hara in prime roles.

Let me first explain the selection of this film. I was recently given some coupons by my satellite provider to get a few free pay-per-movies. When I got on to look and see what movies I was interested I discovered that there really wasn't any that I was interested. I will probably hang on to the rest of these coupons for a few months till some of the other summer movies are available on PPV. Either way Melinda and I were interested in trying it and decided to rent Killers because we had been mildly interested in seeing it.

Back to the movie. This is the story of a woman, named Jen Kornfeldt (Katherine Heigl) who is on vacation with her parents when she meets her ideal man. Her ideal man, Spencer Aimes (Ashton Kutcher), is an assassin who wants to settle down and have a "normal life." They quickly fall in love with each other and we rejoin the happy couple several years later. Soon their life is upset when a hit is put out and they discover that several of their neighbors are hired killers who are out for a paycheck.

This film didn't really work for me. It was cute and a bit of fun but really wasn't really well done. Ashton Kutcher isn't really believable as a tough guy assassin and Katherine Heigl is, in my opionion, to ditsy at the beginning of the movie. At times Kutcher and Heigl have chemistry and at other times the chemistry is pretty rough (and I mean beyond a couple in a fight on the screan)). The whole film just didn't seem to fit together very well and neither of the largest stars were particularly good in their roles. If this was intended to be a launching point for Kutcher to be an action star I would call it an epic failure.

This film was fun and cute and made you smile and laugh a few times but otherwise isn't worth the time. 1 1/2 out of 5 stars.

No comments: