Sunday, October 3, 2010

Chicago (2002)

This was the 2002 release from Miramax Films. I have always been interested in musicals that are adapted to film and not many are done anymore.

This is the story of Murderesses Velma Kelly (Catherine Zeta-Jones) and Roxie Hart (Renee Zellweger) who are both on death row for the respective murders they have committed. They are also both fighting for the media attention that will keep them from the gallows in the 1920's Chicago.

There is plenty of scheming and some very good musical numbers in this one. I thought it was interesting to hear Richard Gere and John C. Reilly singing in this film, not two people I would have thought of as singers.

2 1/2 out of 5 stars.

1 comment:

NateDredge said...

I just didn’t think this movie was very good, with only one truly memorable musical number: “they both reached for the gun.”