I think everyone is familiar with the plot of Aladdin so I'll go ahead and skip over that part of this review. This installment was directed by Guy Richie and features Mena Massoud as Aladdin, Naomi Scott as Jasmine, Marwan Kenzari as Jafar, Navid Negahban as the Sultan, and of course, Will Smith as the Genie/Mariner. I had several reservations going into this movie. Some turned out to be founded and others were perfectly fine, I also found several other areas I didn't know I should have been concerned about. Will Smith didn't do a bad job as the Genie, and that's about all I want to say about that.
In general, this movie seemed rushed to me. A good example of what I'm talking about is the use of confetti in the chase scene through the bazar. I think I understand what they were trying to do, it just didn't land. It kind of seems like Disney is simply rushing these remakes. There's a bit of a fatigue factor for me, so I'm curious if this will hold up better on repeat viewing.
There's certainly worse movies out there, but my rating is 6 out of 10 stars.
No comments:
Post a Comment