Thursday, December 8, 2022

Final Score (2018)

I did not set out recently to watch a bunch of Pierce Brosnan films, yet here I am. Final score is a 2018 movie directed by Scott Mann. The movie stars Pierce Brosnan as Dimitri (A smaller part, so starring might be a bit of a misnomer), Lara Peake as Danni, Dave Bautista as Knox, and Amit Shah as Faisal. Knox is a former special forcers soldier who served with Danni's father. As we learn during the movie, Knox gave the order that resulted in her fathers death. Since then Knox has taken it upon himself to stay in Danni's life and to try and help keep her on the straight and narrow. Danni has been getting into some relatively normal teenage trouble but is at a turning point in her life. Knox takes Danni to a big time soccer match but they start to have a little conflict. When Knox goes to get food Danni ditches him to hang out with a boy, who subsequently tries for force her to do things she doesn't want to and Danni's troublesome side comes in handy as she beats him up. Meanwhile, terrorists have siezed the stadium and are planning to blow it up as part of a plot to to return Dimitri to a political position. Dimitri is believed to be dead, so his return alligned with the terrorists would give them power back at home. As Knox looks for his niece he meets Faisal, an unassuming stadium worker. Knox and Faisal work together to find Danni and thwart the terrorists. Honestly, Faisal was the only character I cared about in this movie. At one point it looks like he may sacrifice himself to save others and I was prepared to hate this movie if they killed him off. Pretty much anyone else in the movie could have died and I wouldn't have minded. The movie carries a metacritic score of 53 and an IMDb aggregate score of 5.8 *'s. In my opinion, both of these are generous. The plot is forced and clique. The action is overblown and also forced. Bautista's character is somewhat likeable, but I also didn't really care about him. Brosnan's character does something surprising and unexpected at the end of the film, that was nice. Overall, blah. 4 out of 10 *'s from me.

No comments: