This is a truly great film & I am a big fan of it. I chose to watch it again this weekend again because of TNT. They were running a Tom Hanks marathon and played it Saturday night and twice on Sunday night. They were running it with "limited commercial interruption," but I decided I would watch it with none.
I have talked to a lot of people who say that they have problems with the beginning of this movie and can't watch it. While I understand what they are saying because of the graphic nature of it, I think it is a necessary part of the movie.
It was a simple premise but no less important because its being true. I am always amazed when I watch this film by the subtle complexities.
There are several scenes that, to me, are particularly striking. Like when they are setting up to preserve and protect the bridge after they have found Private Ryan and some of the soldiers are listening to the French singer and chatting about things from home. It is a striking portrayal of life and how people cope.
Another of course is when General George C. Marshal reads to letter from President Lincoln to the other leaders and orders that Private Ryan be found. At that moment in the movie no one questions the motives or the importance of this mission.
One must not forget however the forget the very beginning and the very ending of this movie, with the scenes of Private Ryan visiting the graves of the very soldiers who saved his life.
A very honest and compelling film. One of the best I have ever seen!
5 out of 5 stars!! (there are only a few movies I would give more than 5 stars, this is one of them)
Jumping ahead and Spring Break....
14 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment