Most of you know that I am a space junky so naturally this has been a favorite movie of mine for some time now. There are many motivational stories in the space program but few have been turned into successful films (that I am aware of).
This is the story of the crew of Apollo 13 which was supposed to land on the moon and explore the Furmorah Highlands but due to faulty wiring, that was manufactured more than 2 years before the flight was even announced, that caused an explosion on board the Command Module, Odyssey, they instead experienced one of the most harrowing stories of all time as they tried and ultimately succeeded in returning to earth.
Mostly because of this film I have always been more than willing to give any Ron Howard film a chance. While some of his films have taken some criticism I have enjoyed most of them and this is no exception. A star studded cast including, Tom Hanks, Kevin Bacon, Bill Paxton, Gary Sinise, and Ed Harris.
(Now for what could be interpreted as political commentary) I would love to see NASA put more emphasis on further exploration. I have never really understood why we haven't returned astronauts to the moon in such a long time. There is still more to explore and learn by traveling to this relatively close celestial body if we are ever to do any deeper exploration, and low earth orbit isn't resulting in substantial developments at a regular pace anymore.
Back to the film. Great film. 4 out of 5 stars.
Jumping ahead and Spring Break....
14 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment