Sunday, May 23, 2010

Cast Away

This was a 2000 release from Dreamworks Entertainment. This is the story of a Fed Ex executive who is on a flight when the plane drifts off course and eventually crashes in the ocean. The sole survivor is Chuch Noland (Tom Hanks) who eventually washes up on an island where he lives for several years before he eventually sets sail on a make shift boat. He is eventually rescued by a passing cargo ship and is brought back with great fanfare.

This was really the first film that featured almost no one but Tom Hanks. This film was released while I was on my mission so it had been out and had become cliche before I ever returned home and had the opportunity to watch the film and as a result I wasn't sure I wanted to watch it. When I finally did watch it I fell for the whole story, from Wilson to the picture of his fiance and everything else. I was torn up when he returned home and his fiance didn't even have the strength to come see him. It was even worse when she ran back out of the house and they reunited outside the jeep in the rain, but then I thought about her new family... I fell for this one hook line and sinker.

Good film that keeps you enthralled in the story it presents. It is a bit cliche though and as a result, 3 out of 5 stars.

1 comment:

NateDredge said...

This was the second movie I saw after I got back from my mission (the first being Shrek), Tom Hanks can hold the screen unassisted, what else can you say.