Monday, January 10, 2011

The King's Speech (2010)

This is a 2010 release from See Saw Films about King George VI of Great Britain. This was a beautifully done film about his impromptu ascension to the throne and of his speech therapist who helped an unsure monarch prepare himself for some pivotal moments in history.

The IMDB blurb on the movie states that the speech therapist "...helped an unsure monarch become worthy of (his impromptu ascension to the throne)." I would have to disagree with this on a fundamental basis as if we are truly to believe in a Monarchy then we are to believe that it was his divine right to be King. That being said, I concede the point for the sake of trying to summarize the movie.

This was a very excellently done movie that I feel fortunate for having had the opportunity to see in theaters. This film was released in a limited release and Jordan Commons (a local theater) was in the first 700 to be showing it.

The film features Collin Firth as Prince Albert/King George VI, Helena Bonham Carter as Queen Elizabeth and Geoffrey Rush as Lionel Logue. To be honest I don't recall Helena Bonham Carter in any rolls other than as a witch in Harry Potter, and I was rather impressed with her in this roll. She is not who the story is about but she manages to capture the screen when she is on it. The relationship between Lionel Logue (the speech therapist) and the Prince/King was portrayed in a convincing fashion, including the reluctant and begrudging start to the relationship all the way through the King's Speech. A relationship that is complicated by the formalities that must exist between Royalty and Commoners.

This film may be one of the best I have seen. I was mesmerized and intrigued and found myself seemingly the captive of the film. My wife and I saw it late at night and were the only 2 in the theater so I took advantage of her knowledge of history and asked frequent questions to make sure I understood what was happening in the context of history.

If you have the opportunity try to see this on the big screen. I can tell you now that this will be one that will be in my personal collection once it is on DVD. So if you miss the opportunity now let me know in the future.

This was rated R for language, though I have heard far more offensive language used on a regular basis in PG-13 rated movies. I would recommend this to anyone. 4 out of 4 stars.

No comments: