This is the Coen Brothers take on a classic John Wayne film. I can't recall seeing the original, but I know I must have at sometime, but for the Coen brothers to redo a John Wayne, to me, is huge. That's messing with an American Institution! But, I found myself completly engrossed in this film.
It starts with narration by Maddie, the main character, who is a 14 year little girl, from Arkansas. Her father is killed by a shady character, and she wants revenge. Not just let someone else do it revenge, but go and kill the guy herself, kind of revenge. She hires Rooster Cogburn, a federal marshall and played by Jeff Bridges, to go after the man. They also encounter Mr. LeBeef from Texas, played by Matt Damon, who is a texas ranger after the same man, but plays it with gusto.I have to give huge props though to Jeff Bridges for playing a drunk, one eyed, law man, who seems more like a bad guy, but it really changed the way I thought of him.
I of course, loved the historical accuracy, or so it felt. I am sure some of it was wrong, but for the story everything flowed and I wasn't bored at all. It is violent, wild west style.
I have seen it twice though, and we will buy it, and I am hoping that it wins some awards this year, so this is a definate go see.
Jumping ahead and Spring Break....
14 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment