Wednesday, January 9, 2019

Fences (2016)

This is the 2016 adaptation of the stage production by the same name. I have not seen the stage production and had not seen this movie previously. This is a moving production. It was directed by Denzel Washington, and he stars in the leading role of Troy Maxson. Troy is a complicated and flawed individual. The movie is produced like a stage production and most of the scenes take place in just a couple of locations. There are a lot of scenes of straight dialogue, like a stage production, but they are compelling and interesting. There are several twists and turns along the way that I did not see coming. The closing scenes also move quickly but satisfyingly. This film was nominated for four Oscar Awards; Best Actress in a Supporting Role, Best Picture, Best Actor in a Leading Role, and Best Adapted Screenplay. Viola Davis won the Oscar for Best Actress in a Supporting Role, though this film could have won in any of the other categories and deserved it. This was an all around strong production with strong performances that are completely captivating. Immediately upon completing this I wondered how I would rate it. I knew I would rate it highly but my friend Nate quickly convinced me it was a 4 out of 4 star movie. It didn't take much convincing.

No comments: