Wednesday, January 9, 2019

Man on Fire (2004)

This was the 2004 film featuring Denzel Washington as John W. Creasy. Creasey is an ex CIA operative who's pretty well given up on life. He goes to visit his friend Paul Rayburn (Christopher Walken) who sets him up as a K&R (Kidnap and Ransom) body guard for Lupita "Pita" Ramos (A young Dakota Fanning). Over a period of time Creasy and Pita grow close together and Creasy, after a suicide attempt, begins to think that maybe life is worth living. It's around this time that tragedy strikes and Pita gets kidnapped. Creasy is severely wounded as he tries to prevent this kidnapping. However Creasy is accused of orchestrating the kidnapping and charged with murdering two off duty Police Officers. When Creasy awakens he is moved to a veterinary clinic and eventually returns to the home of his friend Paul Rayburn. It's at this time that Creasy determines to track down everyone involved with the plot and make them pay for their role. This is where the movie takes a distinct turn and all hell breaks loose. The character Paul Rayburn puts it well when he says "Creasy's art is death, and he is about to paint his masterpiece." Many would argue that this movie goes too far, and is too violent. And their argument would not be without it's merits. For me, I think the movie works. It's compelling and, while violent, is satisfying. As Creasy tracks down, tortures, and kills everyone involved with the plot he eventually learns that Pita is still alive. What lengths will Creasy go to to free his friend? This film is directed by Tony Scott and is the first of four times Denzel Washington and Tony Scott collaborate in film (The other three being Deja Vu in 2006, The Taking of Pelham 123 in 2009, and Unstoppable in 2010). I like this film, I feel like it just works. I've seen it many times but the viewing for this review was the first time I had seen it in a few years. I believe it holds up reasonably well. This is not a great film, but is a good film. 3 out of 4 stars.

No comments: