Saturday, April 24, 2010

Big Fish

Big Fish was released in 2003 by Columbia Pictures and was directed by Tim Burton and featured Ewin McGregor and Albert Finney as Ed Bloom Senior and Junior respectively.

The basic concept of the movie is fairly simple. It is about a son, Will Bloom (Billy Crudup), trying to learn more about his dying father, Ed Bloom. The problem is that Will doesn't believe a word that his father tells him. The movie follows the tales being told be Ed Bloom and goes through his life but repeatedly goes back to the tale about "The Big Fish."

A lot of people really like this film when it came out but I was slow to come around. This last time that I watched it I enjoyed it more but I am still not a particularly big fan. The imagery is certainly that of Tim Burton but in some cases felt restrained to me.

This is a good family film, it just wasn't one of my favorites for some reason. 2 out of 5 stars.

2 comments:

NateDredge said...

Kind of middling Tim Burton work but I liked it none the less, he’s made a lot worse films (e.g. Planet of the Apes, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Mars Attacks, ect) this one was likable but not outstanding. Worth noticing, which I didn’t at first, is the presence of Marion Cotillard (now a best actress Oscar winner for La Ve En Rose) in the bit part as Crudup’s pregnant wife. I have a bit of a film crush on Marion Cotillard.

Unknown said...

Your MMom really likes this one too. It kind of reminds her of some of the stories about either her youth or the stories you kids tell about your exploits. All about love in the family.