Sunday, November 29, 2009

The Illusionist

We picked this one up at a blockbuster location that is closing. I ended up watching it about 8 or 9 times. It is an entertaining film and because I was distracted I didn't catch everything the first time I watched.

This is the story of the relationship of Eisenhiem the Illusionist (Edward Norton) and the Dutchess Von Teschen (Jessica Biel). We learn that Eisenhiem and the Dutchess had met and fallen in love as children while Eisenhiem's father was making furniture for the Dutchess's family. Even though they are forbidden to meet each other they continue to do so in secret. Eventually they are caught and seperated and Eisenhiem is threatened as to what would happen if they were caught together again. He leaves and travels the world to perfect his magic. 15 years later he returns and Eisenhiem and the Dutchess are reunited during a chance meeting at one of his performances when the Dutchess is volunteered by the Crown Prince Leopold. As their relationship develops it is the job of Chief Inspector Uhl (Paul Giamatti) to watch them and ensure that it doesn't go to far.

Things become heated and it appears as though the Dutchess has been murdered. The investigation continues and instensifies on a suspect, but who did it? Or is the Dutchess even dead?

Great movie with an excellent plot. I really enjoyed this film. 3 stars.

No comments: