Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Elf

This was a 2003 release from New Line Cinema featuring Will Ferrell, James Cann and Bob Newhart.

This is the story of an elf named Buddy (Will Ferrell) who finds out that he was actually an orphan who was accidentally brought to the North Pole from an orphanage. He also learns who his father (James Caan) is and that he is on the "naughty" list. Buddy leaves his adopted father (Bob Newhart) to go to New York to try and meet and get to know his real father.

What ensues is a progression of funny and entertaining circumstances between Buddy and Walter (James Caan) and Walters family and place of employment. Soon it is Christmas Eve and Santa needs is in trouble. Who could come to his aid but an elf, but where will he find an elf in New York City?

I enjoyed this film but not as much as others I know have enjoyed it. I have never thought Will Ferrell was very funny. The best of his comedy is frequently his physical humor, like when he jumps off the couch to try and put the star on the tree.

Despite whether you think Will Ferrell is funny or not this is a fun and enjoyable film. 2 out of 5 stars.

3 comments:

NateDredge said...

This is really the movie that established Will Ferrell as an A-lister who can helm a comedy. Nobodey does unbrideled enthusiasm like Will Ferrell.

Unknown said...

This movie is a fun diversion and takes you back in your days of imagination. It also builds on the feeling of hope and caring for family. I would give it at least 3 stars. How could you rate Santa Claus 2 higher than Elf?

hortinthewho said...

Maybe I was just in a better mood when I watched the Santa Clause 2? I wasn't a big fan of this film. It has a few funny scenes but I didn't think most of it was that funny.