Sunday, December 13, 2009

Gremlins

This is a Warner Brothers 1984 release about a young man who is given a new pet and is told there are only 3 rules. Don't expose it to or give it any water, don't feed it after midnight and don't expose it to sunlight. Eventually he breaks 2 of the 3 rules and the result is that the creatures turn into monsters that end up taking over the town.

This was written by Christopher Columbus and was a Steven Spielberg production. I remember watching this as a kid and being scared the first time. I don't remember how old I was but I do remember that the second time I watched it I was no longer scared of it.

This is a fun film and my wife insisted that I include it in my list of Christmas movies, other than the fact that the story takes place around Christmas I fail to see how this is even remotely a Christmas film. If I am alone in this and you think this should be considered a Christmas film please let me know why.

Fun film, 2 out of 5 stars

1 comment:

NateDredge said...

I see your point, but if Christmas is a major part of the narritive setting (which in this case it is) I'd include it as a Christmas film. I personally include The Apartment (1960) as a Christmas film and I'm sure some people would really disagree with that. Anyway I loved Gremlins as a kid as well. I think I'll have to watch it again this season, It's been years since I've seen it and I think my sister has a copy.